As someone who has been an entrepreneur for nearly three decades and has a lot of experience spending money on things, I think I have the authority to write a post on gifts for entrepreneurs. 😉
I’d like to add a quick note that the BEST gift you can get an entrepreneur is to show support for their business. I’ve been in business for 4.5 years now, and I can’t tell you how amazing it is when friends and family support my business, even in small ways.
Thank you! Okay, now on:
To make this gift guide, I went back over all the business purchases I made over the past year or helped my business. Then I threw in some other items just for fun that I know would make great gifts for entrepreneurs.
These best gifts for entrepreneurs save you time, help you enjoy the time you do have (for work or leisure), make life easier when traveling, or improve your productivity. And some of them are just plain awesome!
And I would know, because many of them I have used in my business, or when traveling for leisure or to speak at events. So, many of these gifts are my personal recommendations!
This holiday gift guide can be used at Christmas, for Valentine’s Day, birthdays, or any time of the year that you want to gift something cool to an entrepreneur, speaker, or anyone with a business.
Let’s jump into the Gift Guide:
- Aqua Notes
Are you like me and every brilliant idea you will ever have comes to you in the shower? I am always getting great ideas when in the shower. But if you can’t write them down, they are often forgotten by the time you hang up your towel! So frustrating.
Not anymore. Aqua Notes is a waterproof note pad and pencil! It all attaches to your shower wall so you can access them quickly. I’ve used this pad to write out entire presentation outlines, jot down something I need to do later that day, and send messages to family members. I’m even tempted to stick on at the end of the pool when swimming to catch the random thoughts in my head that pop up doing laps. I haven’t done it yet, but I might!
- Ulla Smart Hydration Reminder
If you’re terrible at remembering to drink water, then this is for you! The Ulla Smart Hydration Reminder is a great little gadget attached to the side of any water bottle, no matter what shape, size, or material it is made of. Ulla is smart. It works out when you last took a drink from your bottle. It then senses if you are the room via vibration, sound, and light (if it’s dark Ulla presumes you are sleeping). If you enter a room or you have been working for a while and haven’t touched it, Ulla blinks at you.
It’s enough to remind you to take a drink from your bottle gently. And that’s it!
It will give you prompts throughout the day at optimal times to drink water. I am drinking 1-2 more liters per day with this on my desk. It’s a lifesaver.
I discovered the Travelmixa a few months ago, and it has changed things for me when traveling. It’s a blender. It’s lightweight. It’s rechargeable with a USB. It’s blitzes smoothies. It’s easy to clean.
It’s best with soft fruits, and you should avoid hard foods like nuts. Our family trips are so much more comfortable with this in play. It’s super easy to whip up four smoothies in one sitting with Travelmixa.
Here are a few things to love about it:
- With a fully charged battery, it will make approximately 20 smoothies or protein shake almost enough for two football teams. You can recharge anywhere in the world as all it takes is a USB cable.
- It is made from BPA-free, food-grade plastic. Tick.
- It can blend small frozen berries like blueberries, very small pieces of ice, butter and soaked seeds. Please avoid nuts.
- It’s approved for both carry-on and check-in luggage.
- It comes with a 12-month guarantee, and they ship to Australia and NZ. Shipping is Free in New Zealand, where these are made. Or it’s NZD$10 to Australia and NZD$30 worldwide. It’s worth it if you ask me.
- Waterproof Sony Walkman
Say whaaaaat? Yes, there is such a thing as a Waterproof Walkman!
If you’re as old as me and hark back to the cassette tape walkman days, this will bring you tears of nostalgic joy combined with relief from the boredom that comes from swimming lap after lap without music.
The old silicone-waterproofed iPod that I loved was from an Aussie company called Swimpod. But it died. Twice. (despite obsessive cleaning and care). So I’ve been looking for something new for a while, and then I discovered that there was a waterproof Walkman.
- If you’re an entrepreneur who likes to run, swim or walk – the Sony NW-WS413 is an excellent gift to yourself, especially if you need a waterproof device.
- It’s a 4GB Sports Wearable MP3 Player and waterproof for use in salt & fresh water up to 2-meters deep (yes, you can use it in the ocean. I have only used it in the pool so far).
- Its also sweat-resistant, and has a dustproof design in case you train in muddy, dusty paddocks.
- It’s ergonomically designed for a secure fit (it’s reasonably comfortable and has no long annoying headphone cords to wrangle with).
- It comes with an Ambient noise function so you can still hear outside noise if you wish (I’m a turn-up-the-music kind of girl, so haven’t used this yet).
- It gives you up to 12-hours of playback.
- Portable Espresso Machine
This is another gadget that I now travel with – from camping to speaking internationally, and it comes with me. I bought the WacacoMinipresso GR from a camping store, and it makes surprisingly great coffee from freshly ground coffee.
No energy required, it’s based on a hand pump to get the perfect pressure for espresso. I’d like it to the same coffee you get from a pod machine (only it’s hand-pumped). All you need is a kettle to boil the water, and you’re good to go. Perfect as gifts for entrepreneurs!
- Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones
I do a few international flights every year to speak at conferences and events. Being an Aussie, that can mean a lot of headphone time. I finally invested in a pair of decent headphones a couple of years ago and haven’t regretted it.
What’s to love about these headphones:
- Awesome noise cancellation. I love how they block out all the background noise on a plane.
- Quick “attention mode.” This allows me to wave my hand over my right ear cup, and it will turn down the music and bring in ambient noise or conversation. It’s great when the flight attendant starts to talk to you!
- Touch control – I can touch my headphones to skip tracks, change volume, or make or take calls.
- Wired or Bluetooth. You can plugin or go wireless.
- Fast charging and long-life playback after a charge – about 30 hours of playback time.
- Voice assistant – I haven’t used this much, but you can activate your cell phone assistant via the headphones.
- Sound quality is brilliant (in my opinion, as good or better than Bose).
- Bluelight Blocking Eyewear
I have been reading a lot of content about how damaging blue-light is for your eyes. It’s the light emitted from devices and screens, especially at night, when you need to start winding down for sleep. It can wreak havoc with your system and circadian rhythm.
A great way to reduce the blue-light is to use Bluelight Blocking Eyewear. I’ve discovered Dr. S Bluelight Blocking Eyewear. It’s a perfect gift for entrepreneurs.
I have prescription lenses, so I haven’t jumped in to get prescription glasses just yet, but I have purchased a pair of clip-on lenses (for around $48 USD) to try for first. So far, I am finding my eyes are less weary after prolonged periods of typing on a screen.
If it goes well, I’ll get a regular prescription pair, as the clip-on is slightly noticeable when you wear them, but I am getting used to it and will continue to use them.
- Stand up Desk for Laptops
I have had an awesome stand-up desk in my office for a while now – it’s a Varidesk, and I love it for my big daddy iMac.
But I have been looking for an alternative portable stand up desk to use in other parts of the house with my laptop. And my husband wants one too. Recently a friend told me about this:
Holy wow. This thing is super versatile and has excellent reviews. And it is so affordable!
- Content Chemistry
If you’re looking for gifts for entrepreneurs, then it’s likely that an entrepreneur (you or someone else) needs to do content marketing. This is the ultimate handbook. Content Chemistry was by the super-smart Andy Crestodina and is now updated in a 2nd edition to reflect new technology and marketing trends.
He had thousands of conversations about web marketing with hundreds of companies to compile the most important and effective lessons and advice about the power of search engine optimization, social media, and email marketing. It’s a complete guide to content marketing and everything you need to know about modern marketing to succeed on the web.
And the best part is that it includes loads of practical examples. Andy has a way of taking something confusing like SEO and explaining it in a way that makes sense – even sometimes making it fun! If you’re looking for gifts for entrepreneur this is a great one.
- A “No” Button
This is the perfect stocking stuffer. Every entrepreneur needs to learn to say no to a number of offers, requests, and “opportunities” at some time. Otherwise, you will be focused more on everyone else’s agendas, and not your own.
It’s tough to do, but when you have the No Button in your office, you can have some fun with it. It’s silly, but surprisingly satisfying to press this as you read yet another email, you need to say no to! And said by Steve Jobs
“Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It’s about saying NO to all but the most crucial features”.
Oh, and if you want to keep a button for when the YES-worthy opportunities do come along, you might want to get the double kit of Yes + No Buttons.
- Bonus Gift Idea
You can use Animoto to make a video gift for someone – a client, partner, or fellow entrepreneur! Making something personal is always well-received. You can:
- do a photo review of the year
- feature a series of their quotes or sayings
- do a video testimonial for them and turn it into a professional, captioned video
- make a Thank-you video
- make a funny video
- Get creative with it. Once you have a great DIY video tool at your fingertips, it’s easy.
Entrepreneurs are people too. But we are a different kind of breed. Taking-risk, working late-night, early morning hustling people who like to create and build stuff. It’s unreasonable to think that the gifts we want and need might be a little different from the average bear.